Xubuntu: Preparing for March 26th Meeting

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 25 22:45:18 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > Just a quick request to everyone planning to attend the March 26th
> > Xubuntu community meeting [1]. If you could brainstorm and jot some
> > ideas down prior to the meeting about:
> >
> >     * What is the Xubuntu mission statement?;
> >     * What are Xubuntu's core objectives?;
> >     * What is the best strategy for achieving our goals?; and
> >     * How can we get more people involved and contributing to Xubuntu?
> >
> > I'm confident that our meeting will be highly successful and that
> > we'll be able to come together as a community to reach an important
> > level of consensus on some of these very important issues. If anyone
> > has any comments, questions, or concerns about the meeting then please
> > feel free to contact me or another member of the Xubuntu team [2].
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Cody A.W. Somerville
> > Xubuntu Team Lead
>
> I'll be sure to be there. ;)
>
> Cody, as the current defacto lead (I hope the meeting cements that role)
> I think that points 1&2 should be defined by you and your core team. I'm
> not saying you shouldn't look for input from a wider community, just
> ultimately it's your show and you have to go with your gut. Everyone
> will have an opinion as to what Xubuntu *should* be. :P

I completely agree with you. After getting a feel from the community, myself
and other key contributors will make the final decision. I believe that once
a direction for Xubuntu has been set, we'll be able to develop a concrete
roadmap and avoid certain conflicts that have arisen in the past due to the
current ambiguity.

Points 3&4 I think can be much more up for debate and planning.

> I would also like to see a blog/planet/forums posting about this meeting
> because I feel this can be a significant part of Xubuntu development. So
> getting a wide word out I would think is best.

Excellent idea. I wish I had done this sooner.

-Cory \m/

> PS: Now that I look under you name, are you "officially" the lead? A
> clear transfer of power been made somewhere?

This is currently in progress and will be officially announced after the
meeting.

Thanks,

Cody :)