Launchpad bug retesting

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:55:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Cody A.W. Somerville <
cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 3/20/08, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Good morning,
> >
> > How would you suggest doing this instead?  I am one of those that is
> combing
> > launchpad for bugs that have not been reported or updated for a long
> time.
> > I try to reproduce the bugs on my own system or vm which I try to run
> the
> > development branch. If I am unable to reproduce it myself, I always ask
> the
> > user to try and reproduce it as well.
> > So how would you suggest dealing with those bugs instead of asking the
> end
> > user to deal with it?
> >
> > Jonathan
>
> They've already produced the bug if they've reported it. It is
> obviously important to ask if it is reproducible every time but the
> more critical information is determining _how_ to reproduce it. If you
> can't reproduce it on the version they're using, then obviously you
> can't assume it is fixed on the development release because you can't
> reproduce it there. Although, I imagine it would be safe to close the
> bug or ask for them to try and reproduce it if the version of Ubuntu
> that the bug occurred on is no longer supported and you can't
> reproduce the bug in a version that is supported. So, although you
> test, I don't think a lot of people do.
>
> Goals are important here. I don't think the goal should be to close as
> many bugs as possible. I believe the goal is to have as many bugs
> triaged _correctly_ so that they can be dealt with effectively.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cody

Cody,

I agree the goal is make sure the bugs are triaged correctly, not necessary
limit the size of Launchpad... I was trying to figure out exactly what the
OP would suggest doing instead of requesting the indviduals to test things
out on Hardy or for further detail if an update solved the problem.
The goal is not to have the highest launchpad karma, but to make Ubuntu
better