Interfacing nvidia graphics cards and acpi brightness

Peter Newman Peter.Newman at cdu.edu.au
Thu Mar 20 00:10:33 UTC 2008

(Answering my own question)

Clues are found here:
http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.12/README/index.ht
ml
<http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.12/README/index.h
tml>

Nvidia say that ACPI and hotkeys hasn't been implemented for all cards
yet but might be in the future for more recent ones.

A couple of XConfig options to play around with were:

 Option "ConnectToAcpid" "boolean"
 Option "EnableACPIHotkeys" "boolean"

No luck for the Quadro FX 570M as far as I could tell

I still think that it should be possible to implement ACPI compatibility
through an some sort of abstraction layer by linking ACPI events to
nvidia-settings so that there would be no need to wait for nvidia.

Alternatively one could play with the open source Nouveau drivers
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/