libc borked

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 17 16:40:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:00:03AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:30:14 -0400 "Todd Deshane" <deshantm at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Cory,
> >
> >Please read:
> >http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct
> >
> >Also, you didn't provide any useful information. Bug reports, versions,
> etc.
> >
> >If it is hardy then you should expect things to break from time to time. If
> >it is a stable release, then you should report bugs appropriately.
> >
> >The developers work hard and they don't need such a negative response and
> >shouldn't be expected to drop everything and fix your problem.
> >
> >Please provide useful information and I am sure if it is a critical bug, it
> >will be fixed in due time.
> >
> >Are you paying for support? or are you demanding things from volunteers?
> >
> >Would you treat providers of other services that you get such as Internet
> or
> >Phone, etc. the same way?
> >
> >Best Regards,
> >Todd
> >
> Todd,
>
> I don't know who you are or what your involvement with Ubuntu is, but
> anyone who is involved in Ubuntu development (as Cory is) and has been on
> IRC in the last several hours is well aware of exactly what is wrong.  None
> of those details are particularly needed.

One thing this, and some other events, has made me think about is - how
are new community members supposed to know who someone is and what their
contributions to Ubuntu have been?  We have a developer responsibilities
wiki page[1] perhaps we should publicize it more and flesh it out.  As I
personally have a hard time keeping people's irc nicks, launchpad
usernames and real names connected, I'm adding irc nicks to that page
too.

What other ways can we help new community members identify people
involved in Ubuntu development?

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperResponsibilities

--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com