Bug and discussion about ubuntu menu

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Sun Mar 16 09:56:46 UTC 2008

Greg K Nicholson a écrit :
> On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 11:19 +0100, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
>
>> Ouattara Oumar Aziz (alias wattazoum) wrote:
>>
>>> You'd call it "My
>>> Diary" because you are creating it for yourself.
>>>

> The user doesn't label the Preferences menu for themself—the label is
> applied by the computer.
>
> “My” is only ever used to mean “your” on toys for three-year-olds*, much
> like how when talking to a small child one refers to things using the
> name *they* should use to refer to them (for example calling yourself
> “Mummy” or “Daddy” instead of “me”). Small children aren't clever enough
> to understand pronouns.
>
> (* Windows XP—I know.)
>
> Speaking for the user—using “my” as if they'd written it—is disingenuous
> and/or talks down to the user, so it should be avoided.

I like your way of presenting this language habit. ;-)
> If we could pull in the the user's actual name in a way that's
> compatible with a wide variety of cultures, I'd suggest using something
> like “Preferences for Greg”.

That may do the trick, as it's already used by the home folder on the
desktop.
Or we ca say "User Preferences", with this "Administration" will appear
much clearer.
> If that's not possible, just “Preferences” will do—the word “preference”
> tends to imply *personal* preference anyway.

I thought so, but it looks like people don't make the difference between
preferences (personal) and administration (ugly system and hardware
stuff). The fact is that we are now turning round. Anyway, we should
make clear whther we need a deeper refactoring, in which case the
Preferences/Administration issue will disappear.