Bug and discussion about ubuntu menu

Remco remco47 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 02:25:43 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 2:33 AM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, there aren't any ext3 defrag tools anyway (ok maybe a few userspace
> ones, but that seems unusual), so we can avoid *that* bit of the argument,
> but there is NTFS support, and that definitely *does* need to be defragged.

Yeah, it's weird. NTFS does fragment a deal more than any Unix
filesystem I know, but Unix filesystems still fragment! Quite a bit,
too, if you have only 1% of free space like I always seem to have. ;-)
The question of course, is: does that make filesystem operations much
slower? I don't have any hard data on that. Just a gut-feeling that
says "Yes".

But maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. It's not really the point of
my post, which was to present my take on a logical collection of
configuration applets. With less than 10 very distinctive options,
someone is going to be able to make the choice much easier. Imagine
someone thinking:

"I want to change my screen resolution". Oh, there's the Appearance
menu. Well, that must have something to do with the screen, so it
would probably be there, right? Wrong! Ok, but now I've found it:
Screen Resolution! Oh crap, it doesn't list my LCD's native
resolution.

Some people might make it all the way to System → Administration →
Screens & Graphics, but I guess most people will have given up by now.
Compare that to:

"I want to change my screen resolution". Oh, there is Display. That
seems to be the only sensible place to put this option. And there is
the tab Resolution. Oh crap, it doesn't list his native resolution. Oh
well, let's try Advanced. Yay, there it is!

Something like that. I haven't really thought it through that much.
I'm sure there are better ways to organise the complete system
configuration. But this list of 30 applets (yes, 30!) just has to go.
Even MS Vista, with its many "Centers" has a less daunting
configuration system. No flame intended for the one that originally
introduced these menus. It has grown a lot with all those new
graphical configuration applets.

Remco