Bug and discussion about ubuntu menu

Remco remco47 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 23:28:10 UTC 2008

(I could've sworn that I hit Reply to All... oh well, I'm sorry for
the double emails to you, Greg. )

I sent the following to Greg an hour ago:

I think that a simple renaming or merging isn't going to fix this. The
complete configuration system has to be thought out. Someone
configuring his computer doesn't want to choose between 30 items in
each list. But he doesn't want to choose between 30 items in one list
either. He just wants to configure his:

* Personal Info
       - timezone, language, About Me
* Display
       - resolution, appearance, screensaver, power saving, etc
* Sound
       - which system, which sounds, recording
* Input
       - mouse, keyboard, joystick, head tracker, whatever
* Printers
       - anything and everything
* Peripheral Devices
       - iPod, Zune, PalmOS, syncing, etc
* Network Connectivity
       - IR, Bluetooth, Wifi, Ethernet, Proxy, samba, nfs
* Security
       - Users/Groups, Keyring, Firewall, Anti-virus

Any information, like System Monitor, Hardware Information and System
Log, should move outside the options menus. You're not changing any
settings with those.

Package Management doesn't need to be there either. It has a nice icon
under the Applications menu. An "advanced" button will suffice for
that. It's not really a setting anyway, so it shouldn't be where it is
now.

Maybe another configuration applet is needed: Storage. With things
like indexing, backups, restore points, partition management and maybe
even defragmentation. But Ubuntu is lacking a bit with backups,
restore points and defragmentation. (hoping not to start a
"defragmentation on linux" flame war)

>  If anything, it should be "Your Preferences": the computer is speaking
>  to the user, not vice-versa.
>
>  The help tips for several items in the main menu already use "your",
>  including Places → Home Folder, Places → Desktop and – bizarrely –
>  System → Preferences → About Me.
>  --
>  Greg K Nicholson

Those are different things. Those tool tips are like a teacher
directly speaking to you. But the text in programs is about the data.
Think about a program that let's you create a diary. You'd call it "My
Diary" because you are creating it for yourself. You're not creating
one for the computer. However, the tool-tips and suggestions would
address you as "you". That's the computer helping you by talking to
you.

Remco