SCIM driving me insane

Martin Olsson mnemo at minimum.se
Sun Mar 9 19:20:56 UTC 2008

I was going to post a bug about this yesterday. I think CTRL-SPACE is a
very very bad keyboard shortcut for this. I accidently triggered it 5 or
6 sixes when typing an e-mail, before I understood what was going on.

Being able to change input method or whatever is an awesome feature it's
just that the keyboard combination is too easy to hit by accident.

Another comment about SCIM is that it's hard to understand what it does
at first. I honestly thought it was a more convenient way to change the
keyboard layout settings at first (I mean it says "English Keyboard" in
there etc) but then I started to wonder why basic keyboard layouts like
german or french wasn't in there. After I while I did understand what it
did though, but it's not super intuitive as is right now.

I think one of the reasons I misunderstood it was because Windows has a
small program for quickly switching keyboard layouts (this program has
shortcut key "hold ALT" while pressing "SHIFT"). The Windows shortcut
key is also very confusing imo because it's rarely a key combination is
modifier keys only. Anyway, SCIM puts ubuntu way ahead of Windows.

	Martin