gnome-panel and Fitt's law?

Janne Hyötylä janne.hyotyla at gmx.net
Sat Mar 8 23:54:29 UTC 2008

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 22:12:48 +0100, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it just me or has something changed in gnome-panel or compiz  that
> makes all applets violate the implication of Fitt's law [1] that
> clickable button areas should extend to the screen edges?
>
> I'm using gnome panel 1:2.21.92-0ubuntu2 as current in Hardy, the screen
> effects are on. With this setting, neither the
> Apllications/Places/Systen menu, the Window List, the clock, nor others
> are not clickable when I move the mouse right up to the screen border.
> The Show Desktop button works in the corner, but not at the edges.
>
> It works as it should when Screen Effects are off.

Hi,

When I quickly tested Hardy Alpha 5 with the Live CD (testing something
unrelated), I noticed this too. Especially that the menus are not
clickable at the top edge, that was most disturbing. Do not remember about
the other things. Everything worked normally with Desktop Effects off.

Is there a bug report about it? If not, I suggest that you create one.

cheers,
Janne