Making Canonical's/Ubuntu's contributions more visible

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Jun 12 17:01:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 01:29:29PM +0200, Thomas Novin wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 14:00 +0200, Przemysław Kulczycki wrote:
> > One of the often accusations against Ubuntu is that it only takes from
> > other projects (Debian, Red Hat, Novell/Suse...) and doesn't give back
> > anything. Ubuntu should make it more visible for others to see what does
> > it contribute to upstream/floss community.
> > Red Hat and Novell have websites listing their contributions to free
> > software:
>
> I just read an interesting article on Phoronix and while looking at the
> contributors you can see that Ubuntu/Canonical isn't mentioned at all.
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=x_server_contributors&num=1
>
> (go to page 3,4)

On page 1, Canonical is mentioned.  It seems Daniel's contributions were
all credited to Nokia, although a portion of them must have been done
while he worked for Canonical.

Also note they're measuring only the xserver there.  The vast bulk of
the bugs (and the area I focus mostly) are in the drivers.

Bryce