[ubuntu-marketing] Making Canonical's/Ubuntu's contributions more visible

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Wed Jun 4 21:51:07 UTC 2008

Am 04.06.2008 um 17:11 schrieb John McCabe-Dansted:
> In principle, developing could be as simple as doing "dev edit
> <package-name>" finding whatever you wanted to change, perhaps
> changing a constant like MAX_COL from 80 to 160 in your favourite
> editor, doing a "dev test-sandbox", and perhaps a "dev install".  Then
> when the next apt-get update is run it could be smart enough to use
> apt-get source and merge the changes into the new version, unless
> conflicts arise.
>   Often I find that after finally fixing a problem, I've run out of
> time and have to move onto something else. Perhaps then there could be
> run a simple "dev share" command which would the developer to, at
> their leisure, annotate each of their patches and upload them
> somewhere others could re-use and comment on them.  Presumably apport
> should also make note of what patches are in use, and bug reports with
> patches could have a "test this patch in a sandbox" option and ...

Now, _that_ would be a great thing. Instead of trying to find out how
each package's build system is intended to work, one would go ahead,
dive into the source and fix actual problems. Wether and how the
package's development group picks up such patches is another
question, but having a patch and perhaps a few lines of comments
should be a real booster for upstream's code quality.

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/