Disappointed with Ubuntu Server, could be used by such a wider audience

George Farris farrisg at cc.mala.bc.ca
Thu Jul 31 16:50:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 12:38 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > This is not about running an enterprise/business server which I agree
> > should be understood at a deeper level.  It is about giving home users a
> > simple, nice way to get some functionality from Ubuntu.
>
> Generally you can do any server things from a desktop if you install the
> needed things.  For easy Apache configurations there is:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rapache
>
> There's a pending request to have it backported to Hardy.
>
> What's needed are people who understand the under the hood part of servers
> well enough to write such a thing and also care enough about the GUI
> experience to do it.  Ubuntu Server is a young project and is headed toward
> being able to support such things, but it won't happen overnight.
>
> What we lack isn't ideas or understanding of the need, but people to do the
> actual work to provide it.

Yes it's true and I do understand this.  We also need to have people
understand that the server market is split into pieces.  The
enterprise,business,home servers should essentially be two or three
different configurations of Ubuntu.

Take a look at the Microsoft home server project.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx

It is light years ahead of Ubuntu server for the **average** home user,
not the geek home user.

It's a market that can't be ignored.

I'm sure you are all aware of this anyway, it was the post that users
should just learn to configure the server which misses the whole MS Home
Server idea and opportunity.  "Market share" are key words.

Cheers