Mailing list filtering [Was: usplash and alternate resolutions]

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Tue Jul 22 21:44:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 22:20 +0100, Alexander Jones wrote:

> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2008-July/thread.html
>
> Threading is intact, and the mailing list manager knows when I have
> Cc'd someone who is already on its list. You don't receive the same
> email twice for this reason, and if you have filters set up doing
> crazy things, you should fix those instead.

The problem is that the only reasonable way to filter mailing list posts
is to use the X-Mailing-List header. When the CCed email is sent, it
won't have that header in place and will miss that filter.

I actually prefer to receive two copies of the email (one from the
mailing list with headers intact, one directly from the sender). This is
actually a good thing, because mails that are directed at me via CC get
to my inbox and receive my direct attention, while a copy of the entire
list stays in the mailing list folder.

Recent mailman versions have learned to only send one by default, so it
is necessary to configure it each time I sign up for a new mailing
list.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~mike/