Ubuntu Intrepid Performance

Stefano Doni stefano.doni at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 11:03:46 UTC 2008

Hello guys,
     I've just subscribed this list!

First of all let me thank all of you for bringing us such a great
distribution! I'm a great fan of Ubuntu, I use it all the day and I'm very
happy for the usability and stability and performance of the product.

I would like to discuss with you regarding the plans about performance of
the new Intrepid release. Since I work in the performance area, I'm really
picky about that and I've always liked Linux just for its responsiveness and
better workload management than other OSs.

Speaking about Intrepid, can you describe what are the workings about that
field? I've seen some UDS reports about that, plus some Intrepid blueprints,
but I cannot find more/up-to-date information.

For example, even before Hardy was coming out, there were some rumors about
the inclusion of prefetch kernel patches. Now I read that perhaps it will be
included in Intrepid. What are the real plans about that? I think a
prefetching algorithm similar to Vista SuperFetch should be definitely
included in Ubuntu, so that we can get rid of custom solutions like
readahead. I know there is preload, of which I'm a great fan, but IMHO a
more general approach to the problem should be required. What do you think
about that?

I see that you're working on login speed, which is good. What about boot
performance, is there some work here too?

That's it guys, if you have any pointers about the questions they are really
appreciated.

Thanks!