LTS and release methodology

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Tue Jul 8 18:13:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 00:47 +0100, Alexander Jones wrote:
> 2008/7/8 Evan <eapache at gmail.com>:
> > Mark Shuttleworth has already proposed something along these lines. I can't
> > find it at the moment, but it's in a post somewhere at markshuttleworth.com
> >
> > I also think this would help significantly.
>
> I believe Mark proposed only a synchronisation on the six-monthly
> cycle. I am suggesting 2 years for major changes to the platform.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/146 :

        If two out of three of Red Hat (RHEL), Novell (SLES) and Debian
        are willing to agree in advance on a date to the nearest month,
        and thereby on a combination of kernel, compiler toolchain,
        GNOME/KDE, X and OpenOffice versions, and agree to a six-month
        and 2-3 year long term cycle, then I would happily realign
        Ubuntu’s short and long-term cycles around that.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/