Cloned virtual test machines

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Jul 7 16:59:54 UTC 2008

On 2008/07/07 11:20 (GMT-0500) Jason Crain apparently typed:

> On Mon, July 7, 2008 9:59 am, Felix Miata wrote:

>> I'm well past my 15 partition limit in most of my machines. How to you do
>> it? Only 2-3 distros per machine? 8 disks per machine? Something else?

> There is LVM.  It has a high learning curve, though.
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

1-LVM is not cross-platform, so complicates further the already complicated
management of serious multiboot systems.

2-LVM is incompatible with systems on which already >15 partitions/HD exist.

3-+1 on the high LVM learning curve, particularly when trying to figure out
how to adapt systems that already have >15/HD, and adapt all the
backup/restore deps that don't accommodate or incorporate LVM.

>From what you wrote "set aside a spare partition for the OS, and perhaps one
for the virtual machine's swap...use these two partitions (not the entire
disk) as "raw" partitions...", I just don't see much possibility to have more
than about 3-4 "systems" per disk, if that many, using LVM. Most of my
systems have more than 6, including at least 2 that can't use LVM.

>>      rv:1.8.1.15) Gecko/20080622 SeaMonkey/1.1.10 (PmW)

> Really? Someone is still using OS2? :-)

You can too, as long as you don't mind paying for something worth having:
http://www.ecomstation.com/
--
"Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry."
				Ephesians 4:26 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/