Cloned virtual test machines (was: Did we really release 8.04?)

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Mon Jul 7 14:32:49 UTC 2008

Am 07.07.2008 um 15:12 schrieb Scott Kitterman:

> There was some discussion at UDS about developing the ability to
> trivially
> clone a host machine into a VM so that users could easily test
> their setups.

You can do this already. On the host machine, set aside a spare
partition for the OS, and perhaps one for the virtual machine's swap.
Setup your virtual machine to use these two partitions (not the
entire disk) as "raw" partitions. The only slight trouble you'll
experience is the Master Boot Record / Grub which has to be set in
the virtual machine's raw disk description.

Then you can clone your OS to this spare partition, unmount it in
Ubuntu and launch your preferred virtual machine off it. Exercised
with a MS Windows partition and VirtualBox just a few weeks ago. If
you want to have the details written down somewhere, please point me
to the appropriate place.

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/