Did we really release 8.04?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Jul 7 14:37:38 UTC 2008

On 2008/07/07 13:18 (GMT+0200) Markus Hitter apparently typed:

> Yes, a lot of alpha-beta-sonstewas Releases are usually available,
> but also yes, they are well hidden from the interested person.

FWIW, and I know nothing I say here is likely to change anything, but I
consider Launchpad a nightmare, and thus an impediment to testing, and
particularly bugs like https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/129910 . I'm used to
Bugzilla, which I use for Mozilla.org, Kernel.org, KDE, Gnome, Samba,
FreeDesktop, RedHat/Fedora, Novell/SUSE, Mandriva & probably others I'm
forgetting. It's superior for day to day things like searching and
follow-ups. I've yet to find anything about Launchpad that's better than
Bugzilla.

In particular, https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/129910 is what I consider a
blocker, should have been fixed prior to Gutsy release, and AFICT, wasn't
even fixed before Hardy release. Useless consoles make my life too difficult,
and 80x25 consoles, the only ones that work, are nearly as bad. That bug has
nearly stopped me from making any effort whatsover to test, much less
actually use, any flavor of Ubuntu, since that bug first appeared. I've still
not tried updating anything to Intrepid.

I have more than 30 machines. Only 1 or 2 are capable of installing a recent
version of Ubunto or Fedora on. Why? Libata. Nearly all my HDs have >15
partitions. Thus in most cases, can't use it, because the installation target
is not or cannot be #15 or lower. OTOH, Mandriva and  SUSE still work. They
retain legacy drivers in their stock kernels, which don't discriminate
against multibooters, allowing access to all partitions, and installation to
any partition that Grub can find.
--
"Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry."
				Ephesians 4:26 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/