No "run" menu item?

Darren Albers dalbers at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 23:54:04 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 15:33:09 -0500 HggdH <hggdh2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I've never actually seen a Windows user use it.  They usually seem to
>>> prefer hunting through the Start Menu, except when tech support tells
>>> them to go to the Run thing and type "cmd" and hit Enter.
>>
>>Well, I have seen it in use, a lot of times. It usually happens when an
>>admin comes to an user system and, instead of wasting time digging in
>>through the user's customisations, we go straight to the kill.
>>
>>So, if you are talking about *end* users, casual users, then yes, you
>>are absolutely right. They would not understand the Run thingy even if
>>it bit them. As an extension, if we are building an system for the
>>naive, casual users, then we should not have such an entry in the menu.
>>
>>If, on the other hand, we a re building a system to be used by all, I
>>see no reason *NOT* to have it.
>>
>>And this is not because another OS has it, its because it is useful.
>>
> Does Gnome not have something like Katapult?  That would seem to make this
> kind of discussion irrelevant.
>
> Scott K

IMHO if a non-expert user has to use Run then something has gone
wrong.   Every application should have an entry in one of the menu's
no more than one sub-menu down.    Using Run is something experts
would do because it is quicker and they don't want to take their hands
off the keyboard.

On a side note, doesn't the tracker applet (I removed it so I can't
check) search for applications when you type it in?   Acting like a
user-friendly Run location?