Cannot boot alpha-1

Chris Coulson chrisccoulson at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 2 14:14:39 UTC 2008

2008/7/2 Tim <timfrost at xtra.co.nz>:

> On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 23:21 +0200, Thomas Novin wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 16:29 +0100, John Levin wrote:
> > >
> > > Have either of you filed a bug report on your troubles?
> > >

> > Nope, I haven't. But is the bug in VMWare/VirtualBox (unable to handle
> > the new kernel) or is it some regression in kernel 2.6.25?
>
> It isn't a kernel bug - I can boot and get the gdm login in a VMware
> workstation VM running intrepid i386 Ubuntu, but after I enter my
> user/password, the GUI hangs with the brown screen.  I have tested
> kubuntu Intrepid alpha 1 and had no issues booting or logging in to the
> GUI. This suggests that there is a bug with the version of Gnome that is
> packaged for intrepid alpha 1, when run in a VM.
>

> Tim

Tim,

I have the exact same issue as you. I can boot to GDM in VMWare, but as soon
as I enter my username and password, I get a brown screen and the system
freezes. The VMWare process on the host red-lines the host CPU..

I've tried logging in after disabling all services in /etc/xdg/autostart -
to no avail. I've also tried disabling Nautilus from starting up, but it
hasn't made any difference.

I've tried monitoring top on the virtual machine from the host machine over
SSH as I log in, to see if I can spot which process is hogging the CPU. The
SSH session appears to freeze as soon as I attempt to log in though, and top
is never updated with new values.

Cheers
Chris