Cannot boot alpha-1

Tim timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jul 2 09:12:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 23:21 +0200, Thomas Novin wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 16:29 +0100, John Levin wrote:
> >
> > Have either of you filed a bug report on your troubles?
> >

> Nope, I haven't. But is the bug in VMWare/VirtualBox (unable to handle
> the new kernel) or is it some regression in kernel 2.6.25?

It isn't a kernel bug - I can boot and get the gdm login in a VMware
workstation VM running intrepid i386 Ubuntu, but after I enter my
user/password, the GUI hangs with the brown screen.  I have tested
kubuntu Intrepid alpha 1 and had no issues booting or logging in to the
GUI. This suggests that there is a bug with the version of Gnome that is
packaged for intrepid alpha 1, when run in a VM.

Tim