Crashed with signal 5

Thomas Novin thnov at xyz.pp.se
Thu Jan 31 20:38:08 UTC 2008

Hello

There seems to have been an enormous number of users having (including
me) problems with programs crashing with signal 5 after upgrades in the
last 24 hours.

Every time my installation starts I get 4-5 crashes. If I try to
start/use Pidgin, Evolution I get crashes. If I try to unlock some
administrative tool I get a crash etc.

Is this known? They must all be related (from a spectators view).

To workaround this problem you can start a program from the terminal OK
if you unset the variable G_DEBUG first.

This search finds "a few":

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.searchtext=%22crashed+with
+signal+5%22&orderby=-datecreated&search=Search&field.status%
3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%
3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%
3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%
3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=

I could have submitted +5 more than the 4 I have reported today but I
don't see the point.

This must be a absolute showstopper for Alpha 4?

Rgds,

Thomas Novin