which package owns the gnome quit button?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Jan 16 16:11:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:29:30PM -0800, Matt Price wrote:
> as mentioned earlier in this thread, suspend now works for me using
> pm-suspend, hibernate -F /etc/hibernate/ram.conf, and shutting laptop
> lid (also works from the gdm login menu); but it fails if i try to quit
> from the gnome system menu or the gnome panel 'quit' button.  i'm just
> trying to find out who owns these applications so i can look at the code
> to see what process they invoke to initiate a suspend or hibernate
> event.  anyone know offhand?

gnome-power-manager is another entry point (the battery icon in the
notification area has suspend and hibernate menu options), and the only
one that I remember the package name offhand.

Take a look at these scripts:
/usr/bin/gnome-power-cmd.sh
/usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux
/usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-hibernate-linux

I'm pretty sure everything goes through a DBUS message to HAL which
executes the appropriate script.  (The script itself tries to determine
which of the zillion suspend solutions you have installed and calls that
one.)

Marius Gedminas
--
Eagleson's Law:
        Any code of your own that you haven't looked at for six or more