gThumb

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Tue Jan 15 18:56:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 19:34 +0100, Milan wrote:
> Kevin Fries wrote:
> > This argument has raged before.  Has anyone thought of maybe a
> > compromise... Something much better than GThumb (not hard) but not based
> > on Mono.  Maybe something like Blue Marine?
> >
> > http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/
> >
> > Just a thought.  They already package a DEB file and it is about 30M,
> > not sure how big the other packages are.
> >

> Is Java really better than Mono? Not speaking of needs to stabilize this
> development version...

I personally don't have a problem with Mono or Java.  Both are excellent
technologies in my book.  Each has advantages and disadvantages like any
technology.  But when I last defended Mono and F-Spot, I got jumped like
a gang member in the wrong neighborhood.

Just trying to show options here.  Looking for solutions to defuse the
argument that erupted last time this was brought up, before the argument
erupts again.  Hoping to show that while gThumb is a poor product on its
best days (editorial, I know, but face it, its not good), but F-Spot and
Mono are not our only solutions.  There are other programs out there
that are of some serious quality.

The BM page says that the product is not quite of release quality, but
lets be real, its not of a professional release quality.  For the
average consumer, its perfectly stable enough.  I would not want to rely
on this if I was a professional photographer until a few bugs were
worked out.  But this product has no more bugs than the average FOSS
product.

BTW, I have just briefly played with Blue Marine, and that is one hell
of a program.  The type that really takes a run away from the second
rate Windows based graphical tools, and right at the far superior Mac
based one.  It would definitely be a capabilities upgrade from anything
in the repos now.  If nothing else, putting that in Multiverse would not
be the dumbest idea I heard.

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer