tracking down suspend/hibernate bugs?

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 13:25:38 UTC 2008

Matthew Garrett said the following on 01/15/2008 07:12 AM:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:17:29PM -0500, Paul S wrote:
>
>> Since kde-power-manager won't work and my usb keyboard sleep button
>> doesn't work, I tried the Fn-Esc key combo on the laptop, which is the
>> suspend key combo.  The laptop suspended and resumed fine.  Now, when I
>> look at /var/log/messages, there is no line from the logger that I
>> inserted above.  Also, when I look at /var/log/pm-suspend.log, it never
>> changed from the previous suspend.  So, it appears something else is
>> functioning to suspend, other than pm-utils via hal.
>
> Yeah, something's clearly catching that. Can you try changing
> /etc/acpi/events/sleepbtn to call sleepbtn.sh and not sleep.sh?

paul :/etc/acpi/events$ cat sleepbtn
# /etc/acpi/events/sleepbtn
# Called when the user presses the sleep button

event=button[ /]sleep
action=/etc/acpi/sleep.sh

changed:

paul :/etc/acpi/events$ sudo nano sleepbtn
paul :/etc/acpi/events$ cat sleepbtn
# /etc/acpi/events/sleepbtn
# Called when the user presses the sleep button

event=button[ /]sleep
action=/etc/acpi/sleepbtn.sh

but same result .. /var/log/pm-suspend.log does not change, suspend /
resume work only from laptop Fn-Esc, not kde-power-manager menu or usb
keyboard sleep button and no "logger" message in /var/log/messages.

Do I need to reboot after changing that file?  If so, I did not.