Proposal: cdrkit vs. cdrtools

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Sun Jan 13 19:20:25 UTC 2008

Hi,

On So, 2008-01-13 at 17:29 +0100, Thilo Six wrote:
> Stephan Hermann wrote the following on 13.01.2008 15:17
>
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> > as I wrote on http://www.sourcecode.de/content/cdrkit-vs-cdrtools I
> > really wonder what way we should go.
> >
> > Regarding the non-freeness of cdrtools, we should concentrate on getting
> > the cdrkit binaries to the upstream projects.
> >
> > Most of the apps I found in debian/ubuntu, which are using mkisofs/cdrecord
> > as exec calls, could be patched easily to use genisoimage/wodin.
> > Having an option compatiblity between e.g. cdrecord and wodin, this should
> > work out of the box.
> >
> > Do you think it's worth the efford?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > \sh
> >
> > PS: Discussion on u-d-d, Reply-To set please honour it.
>
> [quote]
> For Ubuntu, cdrtools is in multiverse...
> [/quote]
>
> according to packages.ubuntu.com cdrtools isn´t in the archive since edgy and
> even in edgy it is only a transitional package only iirc.

This is not correct...according to soyuz:
https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cdrtools/10:2.01.01a33-0ubuntu2 the last version was in gutsy...and the removal was requested on 2008-01-09.
Therefore we have several packages not working anymore :)

To sum up:

Two ways are valid:

	1. We add "Provides" to the cdrkit binary packages and install
	   ln -s /usr/bin/<cdrkit binary name> /usr/bin/<cdrtools binary name>
	2. We could provide patches for Debian/Ubuntu and Upstream to support
both ways..

I generated a list of source packages to find out what packages are
involved:

Hopefully with the correct output :)

Command:

shermann at home-emt64:~$ for i in `grep-dctrl -F
Depends,Suggests,Recommends $SEARCHTERM /var/lib/apt/lists/*binary*|grep
Package|cut -d " " -f 2` ; do grep-dctrl -F Binary
$i /var/lib/apt/lists/*Source* | grep Package ; done

------------- $SEARCHTERM = mkisofs -----------------

Package: devede
Package: mythplugins
Package: aptoncd
Package: backup-manager
Package: backupninja
Package: bootcd
Package: nautilus-cd-burner
Package: xfburn
Package: burn
Package: cpuburn
Package: libburn
Package: mp3burn
Package: mybashburn
Package: cdrbq
Package: cdrw-taper
Package: cedar-backup2
Package: debian-cd
Package: dfsbuild
Package: ebox
Package: ebox-ca
Package: ebox-firewall
Package: ebox-network
Package: ebox-ntp
Package: ebox-objects
Package: ebox-openvpn
Package: jukebox-mercury
Package: libebox
Package: zeroc-ice
Package: fai
Package: fai
Package: gtoaster
Package: hubackup
Package: ichthux-meta
Package: kiso
Package: live-helper
Package: mindi
Package: mindi-busybox
Package: pybackpack
Package: systemimager
Package: videolink
Package: xcdroast

--------- $SEARCHTERM = cdrecord -----
Package: mythplugins
Package: arson
Package: backupninja
Package: bootcd
Package: nautilus-cd-burner
Package: xfburn
Package: burn
Package: cpuburn
Package: libburn
Package: mp3burn
Package: mybashburn
Package: cdbackup
Package: cdcontrol
Package: cdrbq
Package: cdrw-taper
Package: cedar-backup2
Package: gtoaster
Package: hubackup
Package: ichthux-meta
Package: lphoto
Package: mondo
Package: mp3roaster
Package: dpkg-multicd
Package: multicd

Some of those packages do have support for cdrkit, but some of them
don't. E.G. I patched qvamps to use wodim/genisoimage instead of
cdrecord/mkisofs. This tool doesn't even have autodetection. So this
could be a candidate for a professional cdrkit/cdrtools detection and
not only a quickpatch ;)

But which way we go, this should be discussed here ;)

Regards,
\sh

--
SysAdmin, OSS Developer