Hardy+1 Idea: GoboLinux Filesystem Hierarchy?

Pär Lidén par.liden at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 09:07:19 UTC 2008

One thing I like it with the current way is that all config files the user
need to edit are collected under /etc. Of course, if the symlinks works
correctly, they would still be with GLFH, but it would probably be quite a
mess to support this properly, and ensure that every config file actually
gets linked in the right place. And I'm not looking forward to have to check
both /etc, and having to sometimes search thtough the /Programs dir for the
right progam. right version, and then find the config file there.

I haven't used GoboLinux for myself, but I have a hard time to see exactly
how this would make things easier for users and admins. If a user wants to
install a custom version of a program, he can easily do that in his
home-directory, or if he has sufficient privileges, under /usr/local.

I know that /etc , /usr and so on are not very intuitive names, but I don't
see that as a drawback major to warrant this change. Or maybe that this is
the wrong solution to that problem.

Just my two cents.

Cheers
Pär