Hardy+1 Idea: GoboLinux Filesystem Hierarchy?

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Wed Jan 9 11:18:25 UTC 2008

Hi Conrad,

Am Wed, 9 Jan 2008 03:12:26 -0600
schrieb "Conrad Knauer" <atheoi at gmail.com>:

> Hardy, being a LTS release, will have an emphasis on stability and
> polish; but I was thinking for Hardy+1 that, like replacing SysVInit
> in Edgy with Upstart, some new ideas to kick around might be nice.
>
> So a suggetion: what about the GoboLinux filesystem hierarchy?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobolinux
> http://www.gobolinux.org/?page=at_a_glance
>
> It claims to be modular, logical, and "transparently retain[s]
> compatibility with the Unix legacy", without any "rocket science to
> this" ;)
>
> Sounds like fun; what say you?

Crap...sorry...but when linux (or in this case Ubuntu as Linux Distro)
diverts a lot from the unix standard, most people will fail to work on
real Unix systems like solaris, aix, tru64 or other Unix flavours.

Yeah, Linux != Unix, but it's a Unix a like, and we should follow some
unix rules at least.

I read about this FS hirarchy but it has IMHO some flaws and it will
give us a lot more upstream divergence (upstream in this case == debian)

Regards,

\sh