USB drives and unmounting

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 01:18:26 UTC 2008

Whether or not it shows up probably has to do with how much data is waiting
in the buffer to be written.  If it's just a couple megabytes, it probably
writes them quickly enough that it doesn't need to tell you to wait, whereas
if it has a lot to write it tells you it's working so you don't just yank it
out before it finishes.

Is it just me, or does the popup usually stop mid-sentence?  I'm pretty sure
the last word on there is "or" or something that means "there's more to this
sentence."

On Jan 6, 2008 3:12 PM, Jonathan Musther <jmusther at gmail.com> wrote:

> Definitely.  Sometimes it doesn't even show up, it's a bit random.
>

> On Jan 7, 2008 8:34 AM, Sidarth Dasari <sidster802 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Vadim Peretokin wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I wondering if any of the technical-minded people could please take a
> > > look at this thread:
> > >
> > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=655136
> > >
> > > Which is discussing the difficulties posed when unmounting removable
> > > media. The problem at hand is that the "writing data" to device popups
> > > seem to appear randomly, and also offer no progress bar, leaving you
> > > wondering if the thing is frozen, or is it safe to remove or no.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > I also agree that it is a bit confusing. There should at least be a
> > progress bar or some output that shows what its doing.
> >
> > --

> Slingshot - a unique game everyone enjoys  - and it's free :-)
> http://www.slingshot-game.org

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683