VOIP: ekiga, wengophone, twinkle (was What is 'administrivia')

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Wed Jan 2 11:23:57 UTC 2008

On 02/01/2008, Jonathan Musther <jmusther at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree, we don't have any usage stats.  Although I was defending VOIP, I
> don't know of anybody who has successfully used Ekiga.  Wengo is a
> possibility (I've been trying it) and it supports IM protocols too so you
> can use it for google talk, msn, aim, jabber etc, which is nice.

Much as I don't really want to defend ekiga, I got it working and I
know others who did too (on Linux and Windows). I think it has plenty
of problems in terms of usability and useful diagnostics when things
aren't working (a problem with all of the SIP clients I tried) but it
does work.

If your setup is relatively straight-forward or you are able to open
ports on your firewall then you don't have be SIP expert to get it
working - I know nothing about SIP I got it to work by following the
docs,