madwifi-source

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Feb 21 22:11:08 UTC 2008

On 21/02/08 20:28, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> The madwifi code is already in linux-restricted-modules, so there's no
> benefit in providing a separate source package as well.

I understand that, however, if you have a machine that has a card that
is not supported by the linux-restricted-modules, you would use
module-assistant to create a module to match your kernel.

If you had the madwifi-source package, you could patch it and compile a
module in such a way that it would continue to be maintainable, rather
than get the source from madwifi.org, unpack it, make and make install
it and have unknown files scattered all over your file-system.

Of course it's possible that my understanding of the above is incorrect,
in which case I would like to know how users are expected to manage this
situation.

Finally, if the madwifi-source isn't available, then I suspect there's a
bug in module-assistant, seeing that it still has madwifi as an option.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..