Miro (Re: New Programs for Hardy?)

Conrad Knauer atheoi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 06:48:51 UTC 2008

On Nov 14, 2007 3:16 AM, Conrad Knauer <atheoi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Miro (GPL v2 or later; currently in universe) has reached its 1.0 milestone
> http://www.getmiro.com/blog/2007/11/miro-10-is-here/
> I note that its getting praise from the press
> http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2007/11/13/the-future-of-internet-tv/
> I've used it in the past and its quite interesting.

Just thought I'd mention that Miro was the subject focused on in a
Groklaw interview:

Some points to note:

---
Q: Can you tell me how many downloads you've had of the Miro player up to now?

Nicholas Reville: Sure. Last year we had over two million downloads --

Q: Two million!

Nicholas Reville: -- in 2007, and we've been growing pretty steadily
with each new release. We're getting more users as the product gets
better and better. And we're expecting to have, you know, four or five
or more million more downloads this year.
---

Q: Now, it is a multi-platform environment. Would you be able to tell
us what the breakdown is between Windows, Mac, GNU/Linux?

Nicholas Reville: I don't have exact numbers; it's actually a little
bit harder to calculate than it sounds, but it's something like 70%
Windows, 20% Mac, and maybe 10% Linux. I think we tend to have more
Mac and Linux users than the population at large, because we're
attracting early adopters, people that are more tech-savvy, that are
following kind of the latest trends.

But we're also trying to build something that really appeals to a mass
audience, that's easy for people to use, that's easy to recommend to
their friends, and so we're hopeful that we're able to both attract
the early adopters and reach a mass audience.
---

It certainly sounds like the sort of 'killer app' that would attract
people to Ubuntu.

If Miro can't be added to Hardy, would it be possible for Hardy+1?

CK