"Make sense" keymap to launch gnome-system-monitor?

A. Walton awalton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 17:53:46 UTC 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 12:32 PM, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
> Op donderdag 07-02-2008 om 17:38 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Cory K.:
> > Ok. As this has yet again descended into off-topic debate, and nobody
> > has actually given an answer to this question I'm gonna close the
> > issue for us.
> >
> > Ubuntu Studio will set <Control>Escape to launch gnome-system-monitor
> > in Metacity but this will not work in Compiz because of the way they
> > do things. Oh well.
>
> First of all: why do you need this shortcut for 'gnome-system-monitor'?
> I guess most people don't understand why this is so important, but I'm
> sure there are "normal" shortcuts that can be used to launch it if there
> is really a need for it...

I could see a use, as this is Ubuntu Studio and not Ubuntu; music
producers often need to check CPU usage of their software, and avoid
pegging the CPU to avoid nasty pops, cracks and hisses caused by
hardware hiccups. While some utilities have this built in, some don't,
so it's good to keep an eye on CPU usage (and arguably, memory usage
as well).

As for an accelerator to use for this, pick one, stick with it.
Ctrl+Alt+` would be my first suggestion, as it's similar to
Ctrl+Escape, yet less likely to hit on accident by including Alt. If
that doesn't work, well, fun times ahead.

Good luck,
-A. Walton