BROTHER drivers in Ubuntu

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Wed Feb 6 15:10:20 UTC 2008

OOPS!  Accidentally sent to OP instead of group.

Trying again

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 08:48 +0100, Piotr Zaryk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would it be difficult to include drivers for Brother printers and
> scanners? They are quite common and users have problems with them. If
> not by default in Ubuntu install, why not to include them in the
> universe repository?
>

> user requests on launchpad:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/25966
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/16704
>
> howto on ubuntuforums:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590793&highlight=brother
> +scanner+howto

WOW, that howto sucks!

I use two Brother Laser printers: HL-2070N (black and white laser); and
HL-4040CN (color laser).  Both work PERFECT in ubuntu.  Combined they
took me under 5 minutes to set up.

But, I got my drivers direct from Brother.  They have fantastic Linux
support.  Just go to:

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_drivers.html#de

If anything, just work with Brother to move their drivers into an APT
repository so that upgrades can be automatically installed.  That would
be a far better solution than Ubuntu taking this problem on.

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer