Hardy Alpha-4 synaptic error

Richard Mancusi vrman49 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 16:32:19 UTC 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 10:15 AM, Jason Crain <jason at bluetree.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2008 9:35 AM, Jason Crain <jason at bluetree.ath.cx> wrote:
>

>  Could you run this and tell us what it shows:
>
> sudo -H bash -c 'echo $HOME'
>
>  /home/root
>
>  That's pretty strange.  Try running sudo usermod -d /root root to set
> root's home dir.  If that doesn't work, you may have to look at root's
> .bash* or .profile files to see if $HOME is being set anywhere.

Okay - that did it, sudo -H bash -c 'echo $HOME' now shows /root
and I was able to do the updates and I added build-essential as a test
via Synaptic Package Manager.

Thank you for fixing my problem - I hope it is localized to me and
not a Ubuntu problem.  I know everything I did post install and may
research this some more.

tnx
-rich