The upload speed problem about the USB modem on Ubuntu.

Franko Fang huananhu at huawei.com
Wed Dec 31 10:12:45 UTC 2008

Dear All:

My USB modem is a 3G HSUPA data card modem.

The 3G network can support the upload speed up to be 5.76Mpbs, and I can reach this upload speed on Windows XP, so I think that the network environment will be well.

And I have updated the out queue length and size for the option.ko driver. Before my updating, the upload speed is about 800Kpbs.After my updating, the upload speed is about 1.5Mpbs.No matter what I set the out queue length and size to be
    #define N_IN_URB 4
    -#define N_OUT_URB 1
    +#define N_OUT_URB 4
    #define IN_BUFLEN 4096
    -#define OUT_BUFLEN 128
    +#define OUT_BUFLEN 4096
or
    #define N_IN_URB 4
    -#define N_OUT_URB 1
    +#define N_OUT_URB 8
    #define IN_BUFLEN 4096
    -#define OUT_BUFLEN 128
    +#define OUT_BUFLEN 4096

The upload speed will be 1.5Mpbs always.But the download speed can easily reach 7.2Mpbs.

So I think that the problem is not in the driver option.ko , isn't it?  But I don't know whether it is limited but other kernel driver or the Ubuntu system configuration or not.
 Can you help me to find the problem where it is?

 Thanks very much.

Best Regards,

Franko Fang
2008-12-31