Go-OOO.org?

John Moser john.r.moser at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 21:48:04 UTC 2008

I was considering filing a bug for package request or creating a spec
for Go-Ooo.org for inclusion in Ubuntu, or possibly as a replacement
for OpenOffice.org vanilla.  Start-up time is faster and feature set
is expanded.

There seems to be some contention between the world in general and Sun
over OOo; people have forked or threatened to fork the project several
times, and Go-OOo seems to be the most active as far as I can tell.
I'm not sure where this will lead in the future-- possibly to a
stagnating OOo from Sun and then to a completely different office
suite, or possibly to a new fork, or possibly to Go-OOo, or possibly
to some improvement in community view and/or management of Sun's OOo--
but I think the current political atmosphere and the availability of a
more featureful fork warrants some investigation.

Has anyone else tried this thing?  I'm curious to know any opinions
(political and technical, but please if you must pick one than go more
technical than political) on the software, as well as any "better" or
"more active" forks out there, or other viable alternatives entirely.