You lost a new Ubuntu user

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Sat Dec 27 17:31:30 UTC 2008

nergar ha scritto:
> This is getting out of proportion. Ubuntu should NOT ask if it is ok to
> get updates. We are trying to run a "Linux for human beings" distro and
> if we start taking steps in this direction, we might as well ask for
> permission to connect when opening firefox. The last thing we need are
> more dialogs to confuse/annoy users.
>
> Another thing to take into account is, Linux is about CHOICES. If anyone
> feels like a control freak they should be using Arch or Gentoo or any
> other distro that will fit them better.
>
> We have more important things to worry about, like stability. Ubuntu has
> become very unstable lately.

Ubuntu works very well even if it cannot connect to the internet so
"human beings" will not be harmed by being offered such a choice. OTOH,
I think that ubuntu should be a model of usability and security w.r.t.
the other distributions.

Currently it already is, because no service is installed by default, for
example, or because user are required a password by default, and
passwords are saved in gnome-keyring by default. In a very elegant way.

Why not being also a model of respect of the users privacy, and manifest
clearly to them that the new installation is going to connect to the
internet? Is just a checkbox but it says to new users "you are
approaching free software, and as a result, you get transparency".

V.