new power management implementation

Odysseus Flappington deriziotis at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 12:28:05 UTC 2008

2008/12/5 Felipe Figueiredo <philsf79 at gmail.com>

> On Thursday 04 December 2008 15:07:14 Odysseus Flappington wrote:
> > 2008/12/4 (``-_-ยดยด) -- Fernando <ubuntu at bugabundo.net>
>
> > I'm not sure what you mean by s2both.
> >
> > I'm talking about the Use Case in the spec that says: "A user puts the
> > computer to sleep on battery, but then forgets about it. The computer
> > should then go into a deeper power save state like hibernate."
> >
> > Essentially the plan is to replace Suspend and Hibernate with one 'Sleep'
> > mode which initially suspends. Then after a certain amount of time of
> > suspending without being turned on again, it hibernates to save even more
> > power.
>
> This is called hybrid suspend but the usual linux scripts, also called
> suspend
> + hibernate by some. The 's2both' Fernando mentioned is one implementation
> of
> the concept (as in s2ram + s2disk). Ubuntu dropped support for these
> framework in favor of pm-utils, which also support this feature.
>
> Unfortunately, the BIOS of the computer must support it (mine doesn't, for
> example, a Lenovo 3000 v100). It also seems it's fairly common to find
> buggy
> ACPI implementations in laptop BIOSes, which is one of the reasons why
> suspend/hibernate in linux is so inconsistent nowadays.
>
> It's not only a matter of Ubuntu including support for it, your hardware
> must
> support it too. Also, Ubuntu should find out how to deal with specific
> hardware model quirks, just as it happens with suspend and hibernate. I
> think
> this kind of feature is importante enough that it's already in the radar of
> some (most?) developers who are laptop users, although I don't know who or
> if
> someone is actively working on it.
>
> Also, as I said, pm-utils already implements it, so you should test it from
> the command line (gnome-power-manager doens't include it in the GUI,
> AFAICT)
> and see if it works.
>
> Maybe a BIOS update from the manufacturer can include this, if it doesn't
> support hybrid yet.
>
> regards
> FF

Wow, ok, so working suspend/hibernate isn't enough to get this feature
working, which was hard enough to manage already, but I also need a BIOS
that supports the feature? :P great..

I guess then, it's the BIOS that implements the timer to wake up from
suspend automatically. (so that the machine knows to hibernate when it's
woken up from the timer?)

Interesting, thanks for the info, I'll look into pm-utils.

It would be great though to at least see these options implemented into GPM
though (set to disabled by default), so that people can test their BIOSes
much more easily if they already have working suspend and hibernate.

Alex