[Umc-dev] Discussion agenda for UDS-Intrepid around the integration of Elisa media center

Ouattara Oumar Aziz wattazoum at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 09:44:32 UTC 2008

Hello Loic,

I agree with you that working in the integration of the Media Center
into Ubuntu should come prior to the Ubuntu Media Center distro ( at
least with the actual development force). But we can still do both in
parallel if some are interested in developing on either one or the
other of the project. But each project shouldn't block the progress of
the other.

Now, there is one question I have :
*What do you mean an integration of the Media Center into Ubuntu ?*
 If you take the actual Elisa, I think (beside the lacks of some
features as stated by Arnaud) it is well integrated in Ubuntu. I mean
you can install it from the official repository, you can launch it via
an menu entry ... So, in fact, we need a definition of what is the
meaning of well integrated in Ubuntu, then set some goals to be
reached.

As a note, if integrating the Media Center in to the live CD is a goal
to be reached, then the mail from Denis :
<quote>
Actually, in my attempt to make an Ubuntu derivative with Elisa embedded in it
(see UMC project), i can't get under 300MB for the Live-CD (with only the
required stuff to make Elisa working, no desktop features like office, drawing
...), till Elisa will need X11 to run.
</quote>
is a good starting point.

Then if there is no solution to this *size* issue above, we won't be
able to ship Elisa in the Live CD, and we'll need to focus on the UMC
distro version to be able to ship a UMC CD .

Best Regards
wattazoum