Please keep the old IDE chipset drivers so that external CD writers can work

Wenzhuo Zhang wenzhuo at zhmail.com
Tue Apr 8 23:53:11 UTC 2008

Rick Knight wrote:

> I'm not sure I follow you here. Are you suggesting I upgrade to the
> Hardy beta, or just set my repositories to Hardy and update. Won't that
> be an upgrade? How stable is Hardy. I know the code freeze is this week,
> but is it safe to upgrade to Hardy?

I am suggesting you try the libata pata_via module, because the old
via82cxxx ide driver has been disabled in favor of pata_via since
2.6.24-13.23; and if it does not support your controller, report a bug
as soon as possible so that it has a chance to get fixed before hardy
release.

> Also, I rebuilt the Gutsy kernel to add support for the pata_via module,
> but that didn't help, I still can't boot into the Gutsy kernel.

You can try downloading the latest hardy kernel and install in your 7.10(gutsy)
installation. Again, remove the IDE modules from /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
first before proceeding:

  $ wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/linux-image-2.6.24-15-386_2.6.24-15.27_i386.deb
  $ sudo dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.24-15-386_2.6.24-15.27_i386.deb

If you have empty space in your hard drive, you can try install hardy
in a separate partition. I have been using it on a daily basis for one
month. I've seen no major breakage. It's still not recommended for
production usage though.

Wenzhuo