Please keep the old IDE chipset drivers so that external CD writers can work

Wenzhuo Zhang wenzhuo at zhmail.com
Fri Apr 4 23:26:17 UTC 2008

Rick Knight wrote:

> I've removed/commented everything from /etc/initramfs-tools/modules except
>
> via82cxxx
> ide_generic
> ide_disk
> ide_cd
>
> And I've run
>
> $update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.22-14-generic.
>
> I still can't boot the 2.6.22-14-generic kernel but now I can see my
> CDrom and DVD drives. They were not loading before, but are now, so I
> think we're on the right track. It seems like there is still a module or
> driver missing. Any other ideas?

It's becoming difficult to track your problem. You may want to file a
separate bug report at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/>, and attach the
"dmesg", "lspci -vvn" and "lshw" output to it when running the feisty
kernel.

For the Gutsy boot messages, you can boot into single-user mode,
and take a screenshot of the failure messages using a digital camera,
and then attach it to the bug report as well. Do it twice with and
without preloading ide drivers in initramfs.

> I do plan on downloading the 8.04 live CD this weekend as you suggested.

Wenzhuo