Please keep the old IDE chipset drivers so that external CD writers can work

Wenzhuo Zhang wenzhuo at zhmail.com
Fri Apr 4 01:52:35 UTC 2008

Rick Knight wrote:
> I'll file the bug report as you, suggest, tonight or this weekend. But
> until I hear a respones to the bug report, is there anyway to force the
> newer kernel to setup drives by path with hdxn instead of sdxn? Also, if
> I do rebuild the kernel, which module(s) do I need to activate?

It seems to me that VIA82Cxxx chipset support is included in the Gutsy
kernel image. BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX is enabled as a module in
/boot/config-2.6.22-14-generic.

Try adding the following lines to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules:

via82cxxx
ide-disk
ide-cd
ide-generic

and then type:

$ sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.22-14-generic

After that, reboot into the Gutsy kernel. If you can now successfully
boot the Gutsy kernel, libata is to blame. ;)

Wenzhuo