Please keep the old IDE chipset drivers so that external CD writers can work

Wenzhuo Zhang wenzhuo at zhmail.com
Wed Apr 2 23:15:56 UTC 2008

Rick Knight wrote:
> Wenzhuo Zhang wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Starting from Gutsy, the old IDE chipset drivers are no longer included in the kernel package.
> Could this be my problem? See post "Help with Gutsy upgrade" in this
> list. After an upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy the new kernel will not load
> my hard drive. When I upgraded from Dapper to Feisty, the upgrade set my
> drives up as /dev/sdx (in GRUB and /etc/fstab) and I could not boot. I

Nowadays the standard way of identifying filesystems is by UUIDs. You should
use the vol_id command to find out the UUIDs of your filesystems, e.g.

    $ sudo vol_id /dev/hda1

and replace the occurrences of "/dev/[sh]dx?" in /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst to "UUID=xxxxxxxx", where "xxxxxxxx" is the corresponding UUID of each filesystem.

> changed the drives back to /dev/hdx and that solved the problem. Gutsy
> does not seem able to deal with /dev/hdx so, could this be why I can't
> boot the 2.6.22.14-generic kernel? I have a 4 year old Soyo motherboard
> with Via chipset. Can I rebuild the kernel to get this older IDE
> support? I can still boot into my Feisty kernel.

If you have added the old IDE driver modules to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
before, you should remove them fist, and run the following command for each kernel
version:

    $ sudo update-initramfs -u -k <version>

If you have not modifiled /etc/initramfs-tools/modules before, probably your IDE chipset is not supported by libata yet. You may want to file a separate bug report at launchpad, attaching the result of "lspci -vvn", "dmesg" of a running kernel, and a screenshot (by a camera) of the boot failure of Gutsy.

Wenzhuo