regular fsck runs are too disturbing

Waldemar Kornewald wkornew at freenet.de
Sun Sep 30 22:08:05 UTC 2007

On 9/30/07, Thilo Six <T.Six at gmx.de> wrote:
> umount the partition and *then* run:
> $ sudo tune2fs -c 0 -i 1m /dev/hdXY
>
> that will reduce fsck period to once a month, regarless of bootcount.
> But do that on your on.
>
> Distribution wide i canĀ“t think off any good reason to disable fsck at all.

If you want fsck then you should be able to turn it on, but please
don't assume that anyone else wants to have fsck enabled, by default.
As many people have reported, it takes awfully long to boot with fsck
and that's incredibly annoying.

>From my own experience, the average person will react very negatively
to fsck increasing their boot time by 10-40min, especially if XP&Vista
(how about other Linux distros or OS X?) don't do this annoying check.

Seriously, why should we accept being disturbed by fsck?

It's not like we couldn't do anything about it. There are two
solutions that work for everyone: turn fsck off by default or make it
work in the background.

Regards,
Waldemar Kornewald