Activate Desktop-Effects: Yes/No-Button?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 27 13:54:28 UTC 2007

Hi,

Dominik Wagenfuehr [2007-09-27 10:53 +0200]:
> In the last time I often read Ubuntu reviews that say that this is some
> of the bad things of Ubuntu. You really have no real choice what you
> install in Ubuntu without much experience.

This is not a bug, it is a design principle of Ubuntu: give the user a
system that works without asking him questions many users cannot
answer anyway. This "Just Works" philosophy is one of the strong
points of Ubuntu, and often praised in the press and by users.

Thus, by elimitating questions we provide by default what 90% of users
want anyway, and keep the options for the remaining 10% that want
something different.

Also, it's not really true that you don't have a choice:
gnome-app-install etc. make it really easy to install additional or
different software. It is magnitudes easier than installing software
in e. g. Windows or other commercial systems (where you have much less
choice BTW: it often comes down to "Take it or leave it").

Pitti

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de