Activate Desktop-Effects: Yes/No-Button?

Dominik Wagenfuehr dominik.wagenfuehr at deesaster.org
Thu Sep 27 08:53:15 UTC 2007

 > Even without that question the user can still decide: Just deactivate
Compiz. ;)

The reason is that many people do not trust you (I know, blasphemy. ;))
that you will catch all non working cards. I think the worst marketing
for Ubuntu is a shiny new Compiz-desktop - that won't even start the OS.

 > Contrary to what some people make us belive, many consumers don't even
 > want to have a lot of choice in *all* situations of their life (there
 > have been studies on the negative psychological effects of too much
 > choice in our modern world).

In the last time I often read Ubuntu reviews that say that this is some
of the bad things of Ubuntu. You really have no real choice what you
install in Ubuntu without much experience (and a server-install without
GUI). Of course there are some distributions like Mandrake (a few years
ago) where you can choose every single program. This is an overkill!

But I think Compiz is a whole new window manager that should replace the
standard Metacity of GNOME. So maybe a little question isn't that bad. :)

Greetings, Dominik