update-db cron job: solving a long-standing issue

Mark Schouten mark at prevented.net
Sat Sep 15 21:08:19 UTC 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 05:49:37PM +0200, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> On 15/09/2007 Wouter Stomp wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be possible to replace locate with tracker somehow? Or let
> > locate use the tracker database?
>
> I would like to add that often "dpkg -S" can replace locate.

Ehm, locate works on any file. Not just the ones in packages. :)

I use locate on a daily bases. 'Ow, where did I put that file again?'
Locate is easy IMHO. Nuking it would be bad.

On the desktop, it would be nice if locate would be talking to tracker.
On the server, I would like to keep locate as it is. Usually, the
server-users don't even notice the cronjob, but do use locate. And they
are often more experienced users.

Mark Schouten aka Jeeves_