Better Remote Upgrade Capabilities - Ideas?

Alexandre Strube surak at surak.eti.br
Fri Sep 14 20:21:41 UTC 2007

2007/9/14, Kevin Fries <kfries at cctus.com>:

The easiest way around the problem is a fresh install.  The problem is
> Debian (and thus Ubuntu) does not make this easy.  I feel that stealing
> the reinstall procedures from Fedora could resolve this problem without
> resorting to overhauling the APT system.  That is why I am seeking to
> contribute in this way.

You were talking about upgrades, and now about fresh install. Correct me if
I'm wrong, but what redhat/fedora does when you upgrade a system is not a

$list=select rpms
rpm -u --force $list

or something like this? I've been upgrading redhat systems since forever and
they behave just like that (with the inconvenient of screwing stuff at /etc
and renaming my configs as file.rpmsave)

--
[]
Alexandre Strube
surak at ubuntu.com