Better Remote Upgrade Capabilities - Ideas?

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Fri Sep 14 18:08:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 19:20 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 14.09.2007, 10:43 -0600 schrieb Kevin Fries:
> > The version upgrade process from one version of Ubuntu to another has
> > been troublesome for the most part.  I am beginning to trust it less and
> > less.
> did you use the update-manager way [1] as we recommend for that or plain
> apt-get (which is known to produce issues, thats the reason we
> officially discourage this way of upgaring since serveral releases
> already)
> also did you file bugs for breakages you found during the upgrade
> process so the responsible developers are aware ?

# update-manager

The problems are really basic... There is too much going on to be done
reliably.  While I held out hope, and still do... its not quite there.

I do not ever expect this method to get truly reliable until some
fundamental changes in the package management system are implemented.
But those types of changes would take Ubuntu into some very harrowing
territory.  It would mean a break from APT which is horrible unless
compared to all the rest.  I do not expect Ubuntu to do anything that
radical, so I am seeking a way to work around the problem.

Thx
Kevin Fries